Saturday 10 May 2014

Review: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Hi book lovers and welcome to my review of Little Women!


(WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS)




Title:

 Little Women

Author:

 Louisa May Alcott

Publisher:

 Roberts Brothers

Published Date:

 1868

Genre:

 Coming Of Age

Pages:

 449

Chapters:

 47

Synopsis:

  In picturesque nineteenth century, New England, tomboyish Jo, beautiful Meg, fragile Beth, and romantic Amy come of age while their father is off to war.

Source:

Purchased myself on Kindle.

Date Read:

6th April 2014 - 17th April 2014


Review:

*** 3 out of 5 stars

                  Little Women is the first book in the Little Women series. it follows four young sisters as they grow up from early teens to adulthood. The March family are poor although they used to be quite well off, we observe sisters Jo, Meg, Beth and Amy, as they adjust to this transition, while their father is in Washington fighting in the war. The sisters have quite a few adventures with their good friend and neighbour Theodore Lawrence known as Laurie, or as Teddy to Jo, they also have a few trying times when Beth and their father both become ill, and then eventually the loss of Beth. The book focuses a lot on the girl's journey's from love to marriage and children. The main focus of the book is on Jo, how she has to grow up in a society where being a tomboy is not socially acceptable, her trials as she try's to become an author, and her relationships with Laurie who she only sees as a friend and Fritz who she ends up marrying.

                     I thought this book was quite good, it described the girl's and their personalities really well. It is very good at depicting the adventures they had including where they take place. It also does a very good job at portraying the delights and insecurities of their relationships.The only problems I had with this book was the dated writing, which was sometimes a bit confusing, and that I wasn't completely gripped by the story, but I think that this is due to the fact that it is set in a different era where things were a lot different to what they are now and I had difficultly picturing it as well as I normally do with books set in present day. But this being my first classic that I have read, I think I will get better at picturing it in the future.

                    My favourite part of the book, is when Laurie finally tells Jo how he feels, because throughout the book it is obvious to us as the reader that he is in love with her, but Jo doesn't seem to realise this because she sees him as nothing other than a friend, and ultimately turns downs his proposal. I like this part because it shows a tender side of Jo, she normally wouldn't care if she hurt someone's feelings but she cares about Laurie he is her best friend and she loves him like a brother so doesn't want to hurt him, but if she doesn't turn him down she will him more in the long run. My favourite character is Jo March because I can relate to her a lot, because I was and still am quite a tomboy, and I also love reading and writing just like Jo.

               Overall, I think this book was okay, I don't think I will be continuing with the series, as in my opinion this book left the story at quite a fitting end. But I think once I have read a few more classics and become more familiar with the time period that I mite revisit this book again in the future and give it a second chance, and maybe then continue with the series. I recommend this book to older readers who will maybe able to relate to the era easier than myself, or to people who read a lot of classics so are used to time period and the dated writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment